Sunday, October 14, 2012

Babywearing: Tips & Babywearing While Pregnant

International Babywearing Week is from October 8th to the 14th. Starting on the 8th I have posted photos on my Facebook Fan Page daily about every type of baby carrier. Now they are different carriers, carries, a few tips and my experience babywearing while pregnant!

This is an Easycare Rainbow Woven Wrap Size 6 [4.7 m.]

Child: Max 4 years old and 40 pounds.

Carry: Double Hammock Back Carry.

Tips: The tighter the better and make sure your child has a good "seat" [important for back carries.] Also make sure that there is fabric between your child and you to tuck and pull to help support a back carry.

Babywearing While Pregnant: I am 5 months pregnant carrying Max who is 40lbs isn't an easy feat! I don't usually carry him in or out of a carrier but I wanted photos of us babywearing bonding lol. It was also best for me to back carry and the pass in the front to be mainly on my chest and not over my belly.





This is an Easycare Rainbow Woven Wrap Size 6 [4.7 m.]

Child: Dean 2 months old and 15 pounds.

Carry: Front Cross Carry.

Tips: The tighter the better and again make sure your child is well "seated." What I learned with this FWCC is again tightening but doing so inch by inch. As you tighten the wrap to support your child's head especially a NEWBORN!


This is an Girasol Amitola Azul Captain's Weft Woven Wrap Size 2 [ 2.7 m also called a shorty woven wrap.]

Tips: A great place to get broken in wraps/carriers is from a swap just like thebabywearer.com's section "For Sale Or Trade." You can sell and/or trade carriers. Also purchase at a great price. You can also find Babywearing Swaps on Facebook, most are set in private so join a local babywearing group and they are sure to direct you to a swap. :D

Babywearing While Pregnant: I am 4 ft and 11 inches tall or should I say short. Though I love my Easycare Woven Wrap its  seriously way too long. I prefer a shorty wrap to back carry Dean in. I just ordered this beautiful short woven wrap from a Babywearing Swap. That's why no pictures yet.


This is a Mei Tai [Asian style carrier.]

Child: Dean 9 months old and 20 pounds.

Carry: Back Carry with a Tibetan Tie Variation [tie on the chest.]

Tips: Like the wrap the tighter the better! When the child is smaller you'd want to do a high carry with a tight tie to make sure your child is secure. Pull and adjust one strap at a time.

Babywearing While Pregnant: I am 5 months pregnant in this photo again I am loving the back carries. My go to carrier is the Mei Tai with a back carry with a Tibetan tie. It's easier on my and my back and my growing belly.

This is a Mei Tai [Asian style carrier.]

Dean 3 months old and 17 pounds.

Carry: Front Carry.

Tips: As for a back carry and the child has no control of him/herself yet to behind their back and tight. Pull and adjust one strap at a time.


This is a Girasol Symphuo Red Weft with Red Rings Ring Sling Size Medium.

Child: Dean 8 months old and 21 pounds.

Carry: "RUB" Ring Under Bum Back Carry.

Tips: Spread the fabric out and make sure that there is fabric under your child's bottom to create that supported "seat." Also make sure the fabric in the rings are not tangled! It'll make tightening harder and it would not work.

Babywearing While Pregnant: I am 5 months pregnant in this photo. I tried this carry after seeing Jillian from PaxBaby Youtube video do it. I love back carries and thought it would be great to try out. Since trying it I prefer to do a RUB carry with a size large than a medium especially that Dean is getting bigger! I felt great but again was craving a large for this carry.

This is a Girasol Symphuo Red Weft with Red Rings Ring Sling Size Medium

Child: Dean 8 months old and 21 pounds.

Carry: Hip Carry.

Tips: When pulling the fabric of the ring sling to tighten DO NOT yank or pull down. The key is to pull across and adjust little by little. Also try to  start the ring up higher so when you are done adjusting it will eventually settle in the rightful place. If you are feeling the ring bunching up ajenst your chest the left over tail can be wrapped around to help and it makes the ring sling look cute too! :D

Babywearing While Pregnant: I am 5 months pregnant in this photo. I like the hip carry when I'm going in and out somewhere real quick. Just pop the kid in and thats it! :D It's funny how I carry my children more on my right when they are out of the carrier but prefer them on my left when in a carrier. I don't know, just my preference I guess. ;D Easy for the moment but as my belly grows, I noticed it was getting uncomfortable not for me but for my child's leg lol.


This is a Sleepy Stretchy Wrap One Size

Child: Dean 2 weeks old and 11 pounds.

Carry: Front Cross Carry.

Tips: When you start tying the wrap around your body without the baby in it make sure its fit like a t-shirt and not loose! Then once baby is in tighten as needed little by little and make sure to support your child's head!

This is a Boba [Soft Structured Carrier, Buckles not tied.]

Child: Dean 6 months old and 20 pounds.

Carry: Back Carry.

Tips: SSC buckled carrier tip is loosen then tighten. Make sure your child is high and tight.

Babywearing While Pregnant: I am 2.5 months pregnant here cooking dinner. Safer to cook with baby on the back away from the heat. Dean was needy that day and I really needed to start dinner so this was a great way to get by until my husband got home. I was extremely tired the first trimester and having Dean in a back carry was pretty easy. Just like wearing a book bag.



This is a Boba [Soft Structured Carrier, Buckles not tied.]

Child: Dean 8 months old and 20 pounds.

Carry: Back Carry.

Tips: It's like going hiking/camping with a bag with the snaps on the waste. You want child's weight to be supported by te waste not the shoulders. Again high and tight but not TOO tight!

Babywearing While Pregnant: I am 6.5 months pregnant and hiking! :/ I wasn't prepared for my shoes but prepared w our carrier. Thank GOD! Half of the time I carried him but I was getting tired from the hike and the extra weight. So husband Front carried Dean in the Boba...Help is great even in the babywearing world...I guess husbands are useful too lol.

This is Tandem Babywearing in a Boba and an Easycare Woven Wrap.

Child: Dean 9 months old and 20 pounds and Max 4 years old 40 pounds.

Carry: Dean in a Front Carry and Max in a Double Hammock Back Carry.

Tips: Put them on in the order they might want to get down, least first. Tandem babywearing is a great time for buckle carriers for front carries. Easy to loosen more for nursing than with wraps with another child carried over it. Each mama is different with tandem babywearing because it might be comfortable for me and another would choose a mei tai in the front and a SSC buckle carrier in the back. There is no wrong way to do this...as long as you follow the tips with each type of carrier you use for tandem babywearing. For more info on tandem babywearing check out thebabywearer.com's section "Wearing More Than One."

Babywearing While Pregnant: I am 6.5 months pregnant and tandem babywearing crazy right?! Well I'm  practicing for when the third baby comes. I thought It was going to be harder but it isnt that bad at all. One in a wrap and the other in a quick SSC/Mei Tai. The crushing weight of both children though was killer on me. I have a healthy pregnancy and don't have problems except for common ""MOMMY'S TIRED LEAVE ME ALONE AND GO BOTHER YOUR FATHER!" lol I wrapped Max up first and then put Dean in a Boba. My awesome father in law took pictures in the front yard with the big tree behind us. After carrying them around the house for 30 minutes yeah 30 MINUTES we all lasted that long! I felt muscles I've never felt before and I felt tired lol. Thank God Max doesn't ask to be carried any more I'd die. But doing this with Max and Dean I feel confident I can do it with ease when our third comes!

Follow, like, and join these Babywearing Groups/Forums.
Internationalbabywearing.org/Safety
Zerberts.com/Goldenruleofbabywearing
Thebabywearer.com/Forsaleoftrade
Thebabywearer.com/Wearingmorethanone
Quirkybaby.com/Rental
Paxbaby Youtube
Babywearing Swap Facebook
Babywearing Advice Facebook
Babywearing DIY Advice and Support Facebook


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. Multiflex is a pioneer in the field of packing materials manufacturing and providing packing solutions to our valued clients. We are renowned since 2003 for our products such as Shopping Carry Bags, Plastic Carry Bags, Food Packaging Bags, Polythene Bags, and Chemical Packaging Bags that fulfills the packing needs of our customers with maximized efficiency and quality. Shopping Carry Bags

    ReplyDelete

You Said What